Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Identity Protection

There are many fears in our current technological age and identity theft is a large one. The idea that a thief might steal my identity and cause financial and emotional harm made me uneasy enough to buy LifeLock protection! I feel more secure having someone help protect my identity.

There is another kind of identity protection that I have and am so thankful for; my identity in Christ! In a similar way, there is a thief that seeks to steal or at least cause me to doubt my identity in Christ...he is the enemy of all Christians - Satan. Jesus says of him (John 10:10) that "The thief has come to steal, kill and destroy..." I am convinced that this "thief" is determined to cause as much harm as he can and so I consistently remind myself of the Life-Lock protection of Jesus. Are you interested? If so...

The first thing we need to do - is be sure of our identity in Christ. Have you ever reflected on who you are in Jesus? There are so many amazing promises that He has given! If you have put your faith in Jesus, you have been completely forgiven (Col. 2:13); you have been adopted as His child, and made me an Heir (Gal. 4:7); you are set free from Satan's control (Col. 1:17); and you cannot be separated from His love (Rom. 8:35-39). Etc! But the enemy of our soul wants us to doubt these things!

So, the second thing we need to do is remind ourselves of our identity! While the enemy can't actually steal our identity, he might make us doubt it and once doubted we might even act as if we no longer belong to God! It is so sad and unecessary, but how many times I have seen this or done this myself! Here is an idea that has helped me in my journey - Make a list of what God says about you and then pray these truths back to God! For instance, "Father, I thank you for making me your child, and placing your Holy Spirit in me. You said that greater is he (God) that is in me, than he (Satan) that is in the world. Open the eyes of my heart to the truth of who I am in you, and help me to live in a way that reflects to my oikos what you have done in my life."

While LifeLock brings me some assurance of a protected identity, that pales in comparison to my greatest assurance - God Himself. My identity in Christ is secured, not by the efforts of man, but by the amazing work of Jesus on the cross - this work is sure and the more fully I understand it, the more grateful and changed I am! Trust Christ to Life-Lock your identity, today!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Dave, I am certainly trusting Christ to live-lock my identity! Cheryl

    ReplyDelete