Monday, February 28, 2011

The "Up" side of "Down"

What do I mean, the up side of down? Well, please bear with me as I try to explain.

I spent last week as sick as I have been in years. I can't tell you if there was a cause; close quarters with others on the India trip that were sick, flying in crowded planes for hour upon hour with coughing all around, or lowered immune system because of all the energy expended in the service of our King. It really doesn't matter, however, how I got sick; but it does matter how God encouraged me in my sickness.

The coughing, congestion, and flu like symptoms kept me at the feet of Jesus all week...like only illness or tragedy or hardships can. Over the years I have tried to have this attitude; to praise God for the good things, and trust Him in the not-so-good things. This kind of trusting has turned many hardships into opportunities to praise God "in spite of" the way I feel, the circumstances, the shattered dreams, etc. So, I decided to seek God’s honor even in the illness, and let Him teach me to rely on Him in even greater ways.

In addition to praising God in the midst of hardship, my desire is to sincerely invite God to use this time to grow me in some way. So, I sought to humbly surrender my plans, etc. so that God might just grow something scarcely resembling Christ likeness in me! I am not saying that I do it well all of the time or even most of the time, but I think it has become easier with practice! (Not that I like it or want more, Lord!) Last week, I felt that God was teaching me to rest and pray more…for others. Of course, I cried out for myself from time to time! But, I did find many hours throughout the days, and especially in the long and uncomfortable nights, to seek God for those in need - and don't we all have a long list of friends and family who are in need?

I understand that some of you may have the equivalent of a Master's degree at what I have been describing! Long term illness, watching someone close suffering day after day, or experiencing tragic events in succession; these all have the opportunity to turn us toward greater dependence on Him, or away to self-sufficiency or pity (please know that I am not judging those latter reactions, but only inviting us to examine our reactions.)

Scripture is certainly not silent about the suffering in this life! Whether we are talking about Habakkuk's words in chapter 3:17-19 where he says; Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines...yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Savior. The Sovereign LORD is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to tread on the heights. Or perhaps Jesus words in John 16:33 where our Lord remind us that; "...while in the world, you will have to suffer..." or Paul's experiences that led him to announce in 2 Corinthians 12:10; "...For when I am weak, then I am strong." There is clearly a higher purpose that can be seen in pain and misfortune.

You get the picture, I think. Hardships have a way of humbling, refocusing, refining us. I just want to yield to the higher purposes of God in the midst of all of the troubles…and I hope you do as well. That’s why I called this, the up side of down.

I am still recovering from this recent illness, and am hoping that I am on the healing path. But, before I get too far away from experiencing of God's nearness in my pain, I wanted to jot it down as way of reminder...for myself and perhaps any who might also be struggling just now. May God give you and me special grace and allow Him to turn our “down” into an “up” as we learn greater dependence, perspective, and selflessness. Amen?

1 comment:

  1. Phyllis and Pete LupescuMarch 1, 2011 at 10:12 AM

    What an UPlifting message during a DOWN time in your life! Thank you! We are praying for a quick and complete return to good health for you.

    ReplyDelete