Monday, May 16, 2011

"One Anothers" apply to marriage (and family) ...too!

One Anothering Your Spouse!

If you are like me, you have heard a sermon or two on the "one anothers" of the Bible. I love these passages of scripture like, "accept one another..." or "encourage one another" or certainly, "love one another." These truths give valuable instruction about how we are to live here on earth with, and express God's care for, the family of God.

Some years ago, however, as I was thinking about how to carry out these instructions with the Body of Christ, I had this thought, "shouldn't these one anothers first apply to my own family and especially my dear wife?" Since that initial thought, I have desired to think through how these truths apply to my marriage. I can't tell you how many times since then I have been interrupted in my spirit with that idea...and sometimes even before I violate one the one another commands with my spouse;)

Case in point? Have you ever noticed that sometimes we treat total strangers (or people outside of our immediate family) better than we treat our own spouses or children? We might show extraordinary kindness to someone in line at Starbucks who appears to be having a "tough day," and moments later be snapping at our spouse or kids in frustration for something totally insignificant. Maybe this does not apply to you, but I have both experienced this and have seen this phenomena countless times. I am assuming that you have as well, so I won't bother pointing out any other "hypothetical" situations:) The "why" of this might be an interesting topic to discuss in a future entry, but for now I am guessing that you would agree that it is God's desire that we learn to do the one anothers of God's Word with those closest to us, as well as the broader family of God. 

In my next entry, I am going to begin examining these "one anothers" of the Bible in order of their appearance in the New Testament. I am hoping that you will join me.

3 comments:

  1. Looking forward to the next entry! :o) May I guest blog this post on my page with a link back to yours?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great point and very timely since we are currently studying "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" at our church. I'll be sure to pass along your "one another" comments because it ties in directly.

    ReplyDelete