Monday, May 2, 2011

Ready-Made Prayer

Some years ago, a dear friend showed me a section of scripture that I have never forgotten. In fact, it has become one of those sections that I return to over and over. I call it a "ready-made prayer" because Paul prayed it for the Ephesian Church, and by simply changing a few personal pronouns, it can be a prayer for yourself, for your family, your church, or a person on the street!

The prayer can be found in Ephesians 3:14-19: For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.

So, here is the ready-made part. Insert your name in these blanks: For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, that according to the riches of his glory he may grant _________ to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in _________ inner being, so that Christ may dwell in _________ hearts through faith—that _________, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that _________ may be filled with all the fullness of God.

I was reminded about this prayer again last night, as I had some friends asking what they might pray for, for me. Of course, I have all sorts of cares and concerns, hopes and dreams, pressures and anxieties, but what is the thing I need most? What is the thing, that if I had it, all of the other things would pale in comparison? The knowledge of the love of Christ and the expression of the love of Christ in my life! There is so much depth to this prayer, and it is worth the deep look, but suffice it to say that I want to know God's love! Don't you? 

When the Bible says to "know," it is not talking about a casual, half-hearted, or weak understanding. No, it is talking about the deepest and fullest kind of knowing. Maybe this will help me explain - This past weekend I hiked the Grand Canyon with some friends. I have been on the ridge of the canyon and observed the majesty and grandeur many times; it is an awesome sight to behold! But that is a shallow kind of knowledge compared to our descent on the trail towards the river! I was overwhelmed by the beauty. Every turn revealed another aspect of this wonder, and gave additional "experiential" knowledge! 

For several years after coming to faith in Christ, I had a view of God's love from the edge of this "wonder." It was an incredible sight to behold, and certainly worth the trip! However, as I gained an experiential knowledge of God's love, I was overwhelmed in a way I can't really explain. I knew something...and I wanted to know more! And the knowledge I gained, by the way, began to transform me in a way that a view from the edge could never do.

So, my hope is that you will pray for the ability to take the hike into God's love and that you will be empowered to this end. God's love is so much more wonderful than any trip to a Grand Canyon, and certainly Paul knew this...that is why he prayed this prayer for his Ephesian friends. Won't you do the same?

Desiring to really KNOW the love of Christ!

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I have heard about praying scripture and on occasion do that rather than use my own words or just sit in silence because I have no words (rather odd for a writer, I know). It's more satisfying to pray in scripture because at times praying over a list of people feels like I'm checking off a list and so interspersing scripture with the prayer makes it more meaningful somehow.

    ReplyDelete